In short, on 22 Jan 2019, I was trying to buy a used car for my mother and told the sales executive that my mother will be the owner of the car. I paid $1,000 deposit and said will pick up the car on the Saturday and he said everything will be ready by then. On Saturday, me and my mother got to the dealership, Richmond Hill Toyota, and found out he made me as the owner of the car instead of my mother and he was missing one set of car key. He said everything will be fixed and ready by Monday for sure so I still paid the full payment of the car on that day. Then I went to pick up the car again on Tuesday but he was still missing a set of car key so I can only get the car with one set of car key and the correct ownership papers. Three weeks later on 23 Feb 2019, he had no sign of getting the second set of car key to me, he return my calls or messages right away before I paid for the car but he never answered my phone calls or email/text messages after I had paid for the car. So right now basically I paid 100% of the car already but the car dealership still owe me a set of car key and have no signs that they will have it because I can’t even reach the sales executive by phone, e-mail or text message so I am forced to file a complaint. The detailed story of my experience is shown below.
On 22 Jan 2019, I made an appointment at 7:00pm with the car dealership’s sales executive called Navid Besharati. On that night before I went to the car dealership, the sales executive called me to confirm the appointment. I then called the sales executive around 4:45pm explaining my situation and specifically told him that my mother will be the owner of the car I am about to purchase and I asked if my mother needs to be present that night while I’m choosing a car and test driving the car. He answered my phone call right away and explained to me that my mother does not have to be present that night. All he needs was a scan copy of my mother’s driver’s license so he can work out the documents and she can be present to sign the documents when everything is ready for the car to be picked up. So I walked in that night at 7:00pm and chose and test drive a car with the sales executive. I also sent an e-mail with a scan copy of my mother’s driver’s license to him and he verified with me in person that he got the scan copy of my mother’s driver’s license. Then I paid the $1,000 deposit and signed some documents and left. On the same night I called the sales executive around 8:30pm to notify him that I will be paying the car in one full payment by a certified cheque and me and my mother will come to the car dealership on 26 Jan 2019 to pay and pick up the car. He answered my call right away and verified everything will be ready on 26 Jan 2019. I also sent an e-mail to the sales executive on that week as a reminder for getting the car ready by 26 Jan 2019.
On Saturday morning around 10:00am 26 Jan 2019, me and my mother and my sister all went to pick up the car. However, there was only 1 set of car key ready where the dealership should provide 2 sets of keys when the car is being picked up. Also, the car ownership paper was indicating that I was the car owner instead of my mother. The sales executive explained that we can either go ourselves to the ServiceOntario and can change the ownership right away, or leave the car at the dealership and wait until Monday, 28 Jan 2019 and he will have 2 sets of car keys and will have the ownership paper corrected. We decided to go to the ServiceOntario ourselves as it is better for us to have a car earlier and we needed to refund the sticker on our old license plate anyways. So we gave the sales executive the certified cheque for the full payment of the car and drove to ServiceOntario. About 20 minutes after we took the car and got to ServiceOntario, we noticed that we also need to do a safety check for the car and we needed to pay to change the ownership, so we decided to drive the car back to the car dealership and let them change the car ownership and we will come again to pick up the car with the 2 sets of car keys. About another 20 minutes later, we got back to the car dealership and left the car there for them to change the ownership. Before we left, I asked if we can have the certified cheque back as the dealership still possess the car at this point. However, the sales executive refused to give us the cheque back and said the cheque was being processed already.
On 28 Jan 2019, the sales executive told us everything was ready. However, we decided to pick up the car on 29 Jan 2019 as it was snowing heavy on 28 Jan 2019.
On 29 Jan 2019, we went to the car dealership to pick up the car again. The ownership paper was corrected. However, the second set of car key were still missing and the sales executive said he will mail us the key once he have it. So we picked up the car with just one set of car key.
On 1 Feb 2019, as the sales executive so far had presented us a very unreliable service and he had been making promises to us but at the end his promises were never fulfilled on time as the car ownership paper was not well done and the second set of car key was further delayed for 2 times already. So we decided to keep in touch with the sales executive. I tried to call the sales executive on 1 Feb 2019 to follow up with the second set of car key. However, he didn’t answer the phone so I left a voice message and I also left him a text message asking him to text me once he mailed the second set of car key. However, no phone calls or text messages were replied to me as a confirmation.
On 4 Feb 2019, I tried to call the sales executive again to follow up with the second set of car key. However, he didn’t answer the phone again so I left a voice message and I also left him a text message again to ask him to give me an update. He replied my text message saying he will check on it. However, there were no further updates about the status of the second set of car key on that day.
On 6 Feb 2019, I tried to call the sales executive again to follow up with the status. He didn’t answer the phone again so I left a text message again to ask him to give me an update. He replied saying he have the key and ask if I want him to mail it. As I find the sales executive was very unreliable so I texted him back telling him that I will go to the car dealership to pick up the second set of key myself on 7 Feb 2019 to avoid any further delay and I will call him to confirm before I start my way to the car dealership. The sales executive had not replied any text messages as a confirmation of him receiving my message.
On 7 Feb 2019, I tried to call the sales executive to confirm the key is ready for me to pick up so I can start my way to the car dealership. However, he didn’t answer the phone again so I left a text message asking him to confirm the key is ready for me to pick up so I can start my way to the car dealership. He texted me back saying he will call me back in 20 minutes because he is looking for the second set of car key. The sales executive had not called me back for 1 hour so I called him back and he didn’t answer the phone. However, he texted me saying he is in a meeting and cannot seem to find the car key and he is getting one cut of new key for me and he is waiting for his manager to approve the action.
On 8 Feb 2019, I tried to call the sales executive again to follow up with the status. As usual, he didn’t answer the phone but he texted me back saying he will give me a call when he have the key. I texted him back asking for an approximate date that the key will be ready so I can follow up. He texted me back and said he was unable to provide a date because it is out of his control.
On 22 Feb 2019, the sales executive had still not gave me a call to provide an update with the second set of car key. I called the dealership’s parts department and ask how long it takes to get a new set of car key if I needed one and the parts department from that same car dealership said it should only take 1 business day to make a new set of key.
Up to today, 23 Feb 2019, the sales executive had never called me back for an update of the status of the second set of car key and there is no sign that the key will ever be ready for me to pick up. It is also very obvious that the sales executive does not really care about me as a customer after I have provided the cheque for the full payment of the car and has no intention on delivering the second set of car key that the car dealership owes me. Therefore, I am forced to file a complaint to the Sales manager and probably also need to file a complaint to the Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council.