I don’t even know where to begin with this…I guess with the fact I was convinced to finance a severely hail damaged vehicle in an incredibly high loan agreement to “improve my credit” so that I could trade it in in six months. In six months, there would be no actual payments to principle, so this doesn’t make any sense at all. This is a predatory deal and would have left me thousands of dollars in debt I had no choice but to sign on to life insurance policies and extra warranties and insurance that made this a $50,000 loan. I was incredibly skeptical, and Duke continually told me it was a great deal and the value of the trade in would hold, after talking to many people afterwards I realized how big of a scam this would have been.
I unfortunately signed for this and received the vehicle late in the evening. The next day I went to register it and was told the vehicle was in fact in Salvaged condition. I was shown a Carfax that showed $18,000 of hail damage. Duke then told me he was shocked and would sort it out the next morning. I text him the next morning with no response, I called him and left a voice mail which went unanswered and sent him an email which went unanswered. By 4pm I called the dealership and spoke to someone else who told me that the shop that did the hail repairs made a mistake, and it isn’t actually Salvaged. Insurance companies are the ones who decide if a vehicle is Salvaged or not. This is when I told them I would be getting a lawyer involved, and finally Duke called me back and requested I don’t talk to anyone else at the dealership. Getting any response from Duke was like pulling teeth from here out. It is illegal to sell someone a Salvaged vehicle without disclosing that, they have a legal obligation to take the vehicle back and cancel the loan agreement. This should have been done immediately without any hesitation. It took 30 hours before the vehicle was picked up from Calgary. I was going out of town and needed a vehicle and was willing to give Duke the benefit of the doubt at this time and the opportunity to correct the mistake. 30 hours later, he did arrange to have the vehicle picked up and did have a loaner vehicle for me. While the loaner vehicle was being dropped off, one of the drivers told me that they weren’t as shocked as Duke was about the Salvaged status of the vehicle, that they remember seeing that paperwork somewhere.
A day later however, Duke called me during my vacation and tried to secure a new loan for this loaner vehicle. Something that I had not discussed with him previously nor did I see any numbers for this before, clearly he was trying to jump something on me without me able to put any thought into it. We had previously discussed that we would talk about everything on Monday when I returned. I was incredibly shocked by the lack of communication and declined the new loan and said we would discuss everything when I got home on Monday as we had previously talked about.
At this point I am out $255 for cancelation fees for the insurance policy on the vehicle; and returned on Monday with the loaner vehicle to discussed that I thought it was out of left field to try to secure a new loan without communicating anything with me at all. At this time, I also communicated that I would like to go to a traditional car financing agreement well within my budget as I am no longer trusting Duke’s loyalty to me at all. We go over again what I am looking for and what my budget is.
Three days later, I still haven’t heard anything back from Duke. I text him to enquire, and a few hours later he says he thinks he has found me a unit. He comes back with a car that only checks one of the boxes that I am looking for and it is over my budget. I decline and say that I am going to call everything off and would like him to come and get the loaner car as soon as possible. He writes back to say that he wants the opportunity to make it right and will get back to me the next day and will come in lower than my budget and will cover the insurance money that I am out. I heard nothing back from him, then at 9pm that day I received docusign documents by email with no other information.
The following morning, I sent him a text message requesting him again to come and get the loaner vehicle as I do not want to proceed with anything as the vehicle he is trying to sell me does not match what I want and it is considerably more expensive than what I am looking for. I had managed at this point to find many vehicles on my own that match what I am looking for $10-15,000 cheaper than what he is drawing up in his offers. I feel as though he is just taking advantage of me at this point.
He clearly did not bother to read my text message that I sent at 8am, at noon he sent me an email asking me to go over the docusign documents that he had sent the previous evening with no other information. At this point I called him, as I am beyond frustrated and there is an obvious drop in his communication. I told him he needed to come and get the loaner vehicle, and I needed the paper copies of my original loan as my copies were accidentally taken when the vehicle was dropped off, as well as the proof of my loan cancellation. He agreed to this, as well as said he would pay me the amount I was out for the insurance cancellation on the original vehicle.
The following day I followed up to ask when the vehicle would be picked up, I do not want this in my possession anymore. It has been 12 days since the beginning of this entire disaster, and I wanted this to be over. He finally has a driver arrive; he doesn’t have any of the paperwork. I do not have a copy of my original signed loan, nor do I have any proof that my loan is cancelled. I called the dealership and requested they email me copies of these; I still haven’t received this. What an absolute nightmare from start to finish. I wish there was more I could do than write a bad review, this company and this person does not deserve to get away with things like this.