Since I have purchased my Mercedes, on September 22, 2009, I have had nothing but great, professional and friendly help and advice from the Staff of O’Regan’s Mercedes Benz. From the friendly Hello’s by the receptionist to the warm smiles from the sales reps. The professional experience, attitudes from the members in the maintenance and parts departments the Service manager can be proud of his staff. The pride on the maintenance floors and shop can be noticed by the very high standard of cleanliness in he maintenance bays I have never been so impressed by the cleanliness anywhere else. It’s amazing.
On August 01/ 2011, I had dropped of my Mercedes at the dealership to have the scheduled servicing done as required and to find out why my engine light had come on.
When the servicing was completed, I was told that the engine light came on because the timing chain was no longer good and had to be replaced. Sean Davidson wasted no time at all in ordering the parts needed to repair the job for my Mercedes He then had me booked in for the 8th October and told me that they would need the car for two days...
When I dropped off my Mercedes on the 5th of October, Sean Davidson had ensured that I had a courtesy vehicle waiting for me when I arrived, (To my surprise it was another Mercedes yeah) .. at this time Sean Davidson had then informed me that Mercedes was only going to cover 75% of the cost to replace the timing chain and I would have to pay the remaining 25% , which would be $950.00 plus HST for a total of $1100.97 out of my pocket. This didn’t sting so bad considering the total amount it could have cost me for everything.
When Sean Davidson had phoned me on Wednesday the 10th October 2011 to let me know that my Mercedes was all repaired and working great I told him that I would be there the next morning. (Since I live 4 hours away)
When I arrived at the O’Regan’s Mercedes Dealer, I had approached Nichole Schnare, to finalize my bill when to my surprise I only ended up paying $50.00 for everything.. I was so happy my knees almost buckled and I’m pretty sure I had a tear in my eye from joy. To this day I have no idea what Sean Davidson had done for me to get the cost reduced as much as he did, but I can not thank him enough for what he had done for me and my Wife.
In conclusion I will defiantly recommend O’Regan’s Mercedes Benz to anyone should the be interested in purchasing a Mercedes or for those who own a Mercedes and want great quality and professional servicing at a high standard, bring it to O’Regan’s Mercedes Benz.