I wouldn't even give them any stars if they had that option and this is why. It may be lengthy but PLEASE take the time to read all the way through. At the end of April, we decided to trade my vehicle in for a Nissan Titan. I called Ralley's ahead of time before taking the trip to Moncton to make sure they had the truck we wanted. I spoke to Mike and he told me about a truck that they had on the lot which had everything in it we were looking for. We told him it would take us a couple of hours to get there as we were traveling from out of town. When we arrived I told the receptionist that we spoke with Mike on the phone and that we were there to buy a Titan that he had waiting for us to test drive. That is when the nightmare started. We waited for a bit of time before anyone came to speak to us which was fine considering it looked like it was pretty busy for a Saturday. Eventually, someone did come and greet us but it wasn't Mike which again was ok. We explained why we were there and that we wanted to test drive the Titan we went there for. The man we spoke with went on his way to get the keys for the truck. When he came back he told me they couldn't find it and that apparently someone else is also looking to buy the exact truck we wanted. We started to get a little annoyed with the fact that they were telling us this.(Sales Pitch) We reassured him that we were there to trade in and try and make a deal. The guy leaves again to go and search for the so-called missing truck that was most likely out on a test drive with this other potential buyer. Finally, after more time passed probably an hour the truck is ready for us to test drive. We get in the truck and the sales guy gets in the back to go on the test drive with us. A little different but ok with it. Thought Moncton is a city and maybe they have had vehicles stolen from them on test drives and it was policy. When we get in the truck we notice there is only 10km"s on it so right there it led me to think someone is lying about another person out test driving it and my gut told me walk away and go elsewhere. We got back to the dealership and told them we want to buy it and start the process. Time went on about another hour and they came back to us with an amount of what they were giving us for our vehicle and what the new payments would be that we agreed to and said get it done so we can sign the papers and be on our way. We were asked to go to the waiting area while they prepared the paperwork and they would come and get us. That is when Andre the finance guy was introduced to us. Went to his office and started to sign the papers that were ready early (the extended warranty, rust protection ect.) Andre was very persistent with the rust protection package and was trying to force us into purchasing it which was $1500. We declined several times and he still continues and tells us he can lower our interest rate if we buy it. We still declined and he just wouldn't quit. By this time I am tired, frustrated and hungry. My husband spoke up and told Andre he better quit while he was ahead otherwise we were walking away from the deal altogether. It pissed him off but he did quit and sent us back to the waiting room. It has now been 3 hours. We sit and waitand sit and wait and then finally Mike (remember that name?) he walks over and says you guys are still here? He apologizes and says he will see what is going on. He comes back and says that Nissan Finance is taking a long time getting back on our approval. Now it has been almost 4 hours and we watched people come in after us and walk out before us with their new vehicle and at this point I said get it done or else we are leaving. He comes back a little while later to say everything is all good and to go back to Andre to sign final papers. We do that and we leave. You think that would be the end of that deal right? NO! It is now May 25th and the nightmare continues. We left the dealership with a temp plate and 1 key which they said they will put in the mail for us. 2 weeks later the temp plate is about to expire and no plates or stickers in the mail. Ashley called us (she is taking over Andre's files) to tell us that Andre messed up on our purchase agreement and that we would need to do the sale again. Annoyed and frustrated again. WE signed the new papers got a lower payment and lower interest rate so that was one good thing that came out of it. But they wanted us to continue driving it illegally until I told Ashley my husband is a police officer and he can't drive an unlicensed vehicle. They sent the plates overnight but they arrived with no stickers. We had to go to Service Canada and explain to them what was going on and they had never heard of something like this before but ended up giving us the stickers
as long as we returned the other ones once they arrived. Today we still don't have a second key and the new sales agreement was resigned on May 9th and here it is May 25th and Our old vehicle payment is still coming out of our bank account and our new payment is coming out too. I called them Thursday and spoke to the receptionist, some sales guy, Mike, and then Vanessa. Within this call, I told them I have had enough and I want my old vehicle back that this whole ordeal has been a nightmare and that If I wanted two vehicle payments I wouldn't have traded in my vehicle. Mike made this whole situation sound like it was our fault. You see, that day in April they told us someone quit and 2 people didn't show up to work so it left them short handed. His words were " you know what kind of situation we were in" I told him this is not our fault. Mike didn't care and was very arrogant, rude and disrespectful with me. He just kept asking what do you want me to do? He put me on hold once I told him I was calling my lawyer to see what he could do to straighten things out. While on hold he hung up on me. I waited for a few minutes to calm down before I called back. When I called back I asked to speak with Mike again and ended up with Vanessa and as I am talking with her she pretends that she has no idea what is going on (xxxxxxxx) I play along with her and keep calm and after a few minutes she says I will speak to my manager and I will call you back within the hour. That was Thursday and today is Saturday. Still, haven't heard back from her. LIAR"S, LIARS, LIARS! They still owe me money, and a second key. I want everyone and anyone that will read this so they will NOT buy a vehicle from this place. There are still other issues with them that I have not listed. DON'T BUY FROM RALLEY'S! Take the extra time and drive somewhere else.